Thursday, July 7, 2011

The First Post

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Blog. Blog. Blog.

Is there a difference? The future buzz noted in 2009 that Technorati (an Internet search engine for searching blogs, according to Wikipedia) had indexed 133,000,000 blogs since 2002. That's a large number. Of course, as this website indicates, estimating the total number of blogs on the Internet is basically a futile exercise. Suffice it to say that there are probably more blogs on the internet than a person could ever count.

With that in mind, let's go back to the question: Is blogging anything more than someone blowing some virtual hot air? For the vast majority of blogs (at least 90%) I'm going to say no. Sure, there are some important, informative, entertaining, and even life-changing blogs out there, but as the title of this blog says, let's be logical: most blogs are full of fluff that no one needs to know.

But you know what? That's ok. The Internet itself is full of fluff that no one needs, but it's still a pretty cool thing. If someone wants to write a blog, more power to them. If someone wants to read that blog, more power to them, too.

That's where I come in. I've often mulled starting a blog in the past but never took any action. For one, I'm mostly a private person. Second, as I said earlier, there are a lot of good blogs out there written by a lot of talented people that put a lot of time and effort into their work. I don't know if I can or even want to put enough time into a blog to make it as good as I'd like, or if it even has a chance to be good. Third, I don't even know what I would blog about. I have nothing I really want to focus on like sports or tv because, as I've said, there's a lot of talented people that already focus on that stuff.

So, where does that leave me? Well, I think this is something I'm going to try out, to see how it goes. Who knows, maybe I'll enjoy it, and maybe other people will, too. Maybe not. There's only one way to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment