Friday, July 20, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises Review: Spoiler Edition

If you're reading this chances are you came from my review at the The TV Czar Says... I wanted to discuss some specific plot points, but I didn't want to spoil things for people that haven't seen one of the most anticipated movies ever. So, if you haven't seen TDKR but want to, stop reading now.

First of all, how awesome was the Man of Steel teaser? I realize that it revealed nothing, but finally seeing some footage made me very happy, especially since I was hoping so badly for something. I really hope Zack Snyder knows what's he doing. I really hope he can make a Superman movie good again.

Alright, onto Batman. No use in beating around the bush - I think we can safely assume there will never be a fourth installment of the franchise, just like Nolan has said all along. When it looked like Batman was dead, my thoughts were, "There's no way Nolan killed Batman. He can't be that ballsy, can he?" I guess you could say that Nolan copped out by letting Wayne escape with Selina Kyle and revealing that John Blake's real name is Robin, and I probably wouldn't argue if you did. Still, it shows that Bruce Wayne is finally ready to move on from his parents' and Rachel's murders, something the comic book version will never be able to do. He's finally ready to live.

I do think the romance between him and Kyle was bit rushed and contrived, but I did like their chemistry on screen. Still, there's absolutely no need to kiss when a nuclear weapon is seconds from exploding. That was a bit much for me. Comic book Batman wouldn't have let that happen. Then again, comic book Batman doesn't display the range of emotions that Nolan's Batman does.

How about Bane's evil plot? Talk about detailed and well-executed. Sure, it's totally impossible, but so is Batman. It's a movie, get over it.

Catwoman (supposedly) killing Bane just in time to save Batman was more than a bit convenient, but it almost had to happen. Bane couldn't be allowed to live, but Batman can't cross that line.

That reminds me, was there ever mention of what happened to Joker? The last we saw of him, he was dangling upside down by one of Batman's cables. Obviously, he wasn't going to get a cameo, but I'm a little surprised there wasn't even a mention of what happened to him just to close out his story. He couldn't have been in Gotham. Joker wouldn't be the type to lay low while the city was under Bane's control.

The Talia twist totally surprised me, which makes me very angry. I should have caught it when Bruce had his vision of Ra's al Ghul. Unfortunately, Cotillard tricked me with her charm just like she did Bruce.

What is Commissioner Gordon doing going down into sewers? It's admirable that he wants to lead his troops into battle, so to speak, but going down into the sewer seems a bit below the pay grade.

I could keep going, but it's 5:15 in the morning. I need some sleep. Maybe I'll add to this tomorrow later today. As I said over at The TV Czar Says... I really liked this movie. Tell me what you thought in the comments below.

Matt

1 comment:

  1. I was disappointed with the Man of Steel trailer. There was nothing to it! But it does look much more realistic than the previous Superman movies, so I believe that there is hope.

    I liked the ending. It kinda confused me b/c you know I though Alfred was dreaming and that Batman really did die. Hey--I just thought of this...they never explained how Bruce Wayne died. How did the whole world not know that he was Batman? Hm. Anyways, I liked the way the will was read and everything was given to everyone who needed it. I liked the way Bruce Wayne was taken out of the picture, meaning that Nolan is done with Batman, but still leaving it open for someone else to continue with Robin/John Blake. I was happy that Bruce was able to move on from his parents and Rachel and actually start living. He was falling apart, physically, mentally, and emotionally, and you could just tell that he wasn't Batman anymore. Batman to me was far less BAMF in this movie.

    The wordst part of the whole movie was Alfred. Poor poor Alfred! Why did Bruce have to be so mean to him? Yes, he manipulated, yes he lied, yes, he covered up...but he's just a cranky old man who loved Bruce. How could Bruce turn him out like that? But, Alfred does leave Bruce in Knightfall, so that was realistic to me. But sooo sad! And then he cries at the end...poor Alfred! All alone in the world.

    I wasn't surprised that they didn't bring up the Joker. I thought it would have stirred up sad feelings for everyone. But you're right...there's no way Joker would have laid low with all that was going on. But I think the audience understands that Nolan just can't go down that road and bring Joker into the picture.

    I was totally surprised by Talia too! I thought Tate was a good girl, someone trustworthy and reliable. What a let down. And when she said she was Talia, she didn't really fit the bill appearance wise to me. But I was pleased with how conniving she was...and the relationship between her and Bane was actually kind of sweet. Weird, but sweet.

    I am pleased with TDKR. I liked all the new characters. The saddest thing to me was that Batman was not indestructuble in this movie. That's the cooolest thing about him...that he's terrifying and everybody knows not to mess with him. He didn't have that going for him in this movie.

    ReplyDelete